Monday, May 4, 2009

Ribbon Cut On Last Rt. 28 Interchange In Loudoun County

"Despite the rain and wind that whipped through the tent, many of Loudoun's elected officials described Monday morning as 'fantastic' and 'a great day for the county,'" that according to an article today in the Leesburg Today newspaper.

"The reason for their sunny outlook was simple: they were gathered to celebrate the completion of the fifth and last interchange needed to make Loudoun's portion of Rt. 28 a limited-access highway. While not officially open, the Nokes Boulevard interchange is close enough to completion that county officials gathered this week to cut the ribbon on the long-awaited project. Ground was broken on the project in August 2007. The $58 million interchange is expected to be opened in mid-June."

"The Virginia Department of Transportation and the project team are awaiting the ability to put striping on the interchange's loops and entrance and exits lanes before the interchange is open. It takes two straight days of dry weather for the work to take place. Once the striping is complete the light at Nokes Boulevard will be shut off and removed, and once the loops are completed, the light at Severn Way will also be removed, leaving Steeplechase Drive as the only light along Rt. 28 in Loudoun. The Steeplechase Drive intersection will be modified to a right-in, right-out access later this summer and will remain that way until the completion of the Atlantic Boulevard extension, expected to open in 2010."

"The last of the interchanges being funded through the Rt. 28 tax district, landowners along the corridor contributed 75 percent of the funding, while the state picked up the remaining 25 percent of the cost. Sen. Mark Herring (D-33) acknowledged that such a public-private partnership only works if the public side keeps up its end of the agreement."

For the latest Loudoun County traffic news and information, subscribe to Loudoun County Traffic via your favorite RSS reader, or get Loudoun County Traffic by e-mail.

No comments:

Post a Comment